2012年5月8日星期二

KEXP’s Year in Review Blog Reflection of 2006 by Mr. West

There are several events that come to mind when I think about this year in rock: how awesome Devo was; the disappointment of missing Gorilla Biscuits, and then having Jason Davidson, our award-winning webmaster here at KEXP, tell me, “I don’t know who that band was, but it was the best show ever!” Incidentally I saw him that night driving away from El Corazon, wasted, hanging out of a car window, with sunglasses on at night. It must have been a good show.

Many of my favorites of this year were things that are anything but new, just improved. This was the year when we saw locals Big Business, join former local icons the Melvins to create a very quality record A Senile Animal. This duo will ring in the New Year at the Showbox on New Year’s Eve. We also saw the return of Guitar Hero II, if you haven’t played this game, you better make best friends with someone who has it. I predict that it will be the next karaoke. Please join me in petition to Brian to begin having Guitar Hero at the Funhouse. It allows you to rock in your living room, while making you worse at actual guitar.

Almost all of my new, favorites of this year came from one place: Ken Cheppaikode and Dirtnap/Green Noise Records. I go down to Portland about once month to see friends, play a sport on the move that we invented called Zilch Eliminator and to cheer for my Portland Timbers. They sucked this year, but this was an epic first season of Zilch. Most every time I stop down there I call Ken up and ask him to pick out some good records for me. He does so and then I play them on my show. And it is not just things off his label, mostly it’s new wave or garage, but he finds the best stuff including lots of hard-to-find, oversees releases, and local bands.

In Live performances, we have slowed down to allow only the cream of the crop. Speaking of, we finally had on my favorite all-time hardcore band, Playing Enemy on the show. I highly anticipate their release this year. We also had the Hyper-literate, educore band BlöödHag on the show. What does the future hold for SONIC REDUCER? Only Khan knows. Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Top 10: (in a very specific order that I’m not telling you about)

  • Old Timerz/Partman Parthorse/Unnatural Helpers/Coconut CooloutsBlack Garfield 4-way split cd (Haunted Horse)
  • Marked MenFix My Brain (Swami)
  • The KidnappersNeon Signs (Rip Off)
  • The Hold SteadyBoys and Girls in America (Vagrant) – (Chips Ahoy MP3)
  • Shook OnesFacetious Folly Feat (Revelation) – (Pheasant MP3)
  • Fucked Up - Hidden World (Jade Tree)
  • The Exploding HeartsShattered (Dirtnap)
  • Autistic YouthLandmine Beach (Jonny Cat) – (Scream for You MP3)
  • Toys that KillShanked! (Recess) – (Run Away MP3)
  • These Arms Are SnakesEaster (Jade Tree/Second Nature) – (Horse Girl MP3)
  • Great re-releases and honorable mention:
    Code of Honor – Complete Studio Recordings ’82-’84 (Subterranean); Mastodon; Agoraphobic Nosebleed; Blacklisted; Hope Conspiracy; Akimbo; Modern Life is War; Bloodhag; Gorilla Angreb; DC Snipers; Awesome Snakes; Mind Controls

    Related to the theme articles:

    没有评论:

    发表评论